For last three years we were playing with small programs and debugging them. I don’t remember that I have written a code of more than 2000 lines. And then we are in a situation of playing with giant,complex code of almost 37000 lines with full implementation of object oriented, event driven, programming concepts in C language and gtk.
For last 3 to 4 months, we were in process of making the perfect rendering of complex script in VTE. Initial help from Behadad was quiet useful for us, that made us quick implementation. We did this in December’10.
Partial implementation of rendering in VTE (as explained in earlier post) made us, thinking positively about the perfect rendering of complex script in VTE. So we started with more minute and finer details of VTE rendering process and finding the way where it can be done.We went through all code paths and processing part related to rendering process in VTE. As Behdad, the author of VTE also didn’t know about how complex rendering can be implemented in VTE we didn’t get any further help from him, so the only way we had was, understanding the code, thinking of the solution and try to implement it. Though this trial and error method was not good, but for this we felt it right. So we have been doing a lot of trial and error methods for implementation.
Firstly, we started with thinking of replacement of cairo_show glyph_call which is for fast rendering with higher level pango library call for complex rendering. For this we gone through pango library manual, Cairo manuals,gtk manuals,etc. We wrote dummy programs to understand working. So I created a coverage that is used for rendering the Devanagari script. As we are working in parallel on different approaches other team mates are working on the variable width adjustments of characters. To achieve this we have divided the main task into small tasks and are trying to implemented it. In further blogs I will be explaining the VTE-Internals as per our understanding.